The Mountain Education Foundation (MEF) is a nonprofit public education foundation focused on improving public schools and enhancing educational and developmental opportunities for students in the Signal Mountain community, a suburb of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Organized in 1991, the foundation serves approximately 2,500 students in kindergarten through twelfth grade at three public schools.
MEF enables Signal Mountain educators to go far beyond what a school can do with public funding alone. Over the last 25+ years, the foundation has provided more than $6 million in funding to bridge the gap between public and private funding to help build schools that prepare students for college, the workforce and to compete in a globally competitive marketplace.
All Signal Mountain public school students have the educational opportunities they need to be successful.
The Mountain Education Foundation (MEF) engages and unites the community to mobilize resources and support for strategic investment in educational excellence at Signal Mountain public schools. MEF is the private fundraising arm to support our community’s aim for educational excellence beyond what public funding provides.
Community Investment Priorities:
We recognize the power of community investment in our students, and prioritize funding based on our belief in the impact of:
• People, including salaries for positions identified as local priorities that are not covered by public funding.
• Technology, in its ability to multiply, enhance and simplify both teaching and learning.
• Arts education, as an end in itself as well as a means to broader and deeper student engagement.
• Professional development for educators, to continually improve and expand the teaching quality for our children.
• Additional priorities as determined annually based on current needs and opportunities.